Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Lakers Edged by Greyhounds 91-90 in Overtime Thriller

Ke'Montrece Williams scored 23 points to lead the Lakers.

INDIANAPOLIS — Lake Superior State brought the ball down the court trailing the University of Indianapolis 91-90 and attempting to make a game-winning basket at the end of overtime. The Lakers passed the ball around and Ke'Montrece Collins took a shot from at the three-point line on the left wing with about four seconds remaining. His shot went halfway down before rolling around the rim and back out as the Lakers lost an overtime thriller to the Greyhounds 91-90 on Wednesday at Nicoson Hall.

Lake Superior State (2-1) and the University of Indianapolis (5-0) played a back-and-forth first half that saw both teams have runs. Lake State took a 42-39 lead into halftime. The Lakers trailed the Greyhounds by as many as eight points in the first half with the score 32-24 and 7:32 remaining in the half. However, the Lakers put together an 18-7 run to close out the half. Collins, a junior forward, paced the Laker offense with 13 points in the half.

In the second half, the Lakers were outscored 40-37 to make the score 79-79 at the end of regulation and force overtime. The Lakers started out the second half strong and steadily increased their lead, which reached 10 points multiple times, including when the score was 76-66 after a made jump shot by sophomore forward Rog Stein with 6:50 remaining in regulation. However, the Lakers were unable to hold the lead as the Greyhounds put together a 13-3 run over the remainder of the half to tie the score at 79-79 as the game headed to overtime.

In overtime, the Lakers jumped out to a five-point lead and they held a 90-85 advantage over the Greyhounds after two made free throws by junior guard Malek Adams with 2:32 remaining. The score remained the same until 1:25 remaining when the Greyhounds made two free throws. UIndy would score the final four points on a jump shot and two more made free throws to put them up 91-90. The Lakers' final possession started with 19 seconds remaining and culminated with Collins' shot that rimmed out and time expired. 

Collins scored a team-high 23 points on 8-of-15 shooting from the field, including 4-of-6 from behind the arc. Collins also made 3-of-4 from the free throw line. In addition, he grabbed seven rebounds. Stein, the reigning Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Player of the Week, scored 16 points (8-of-16), while grabbing a team-high eight rebounds and dishing out four assists. Adams (14 points), senior guard Tim Cairnduff (13) and redshirt sophomore center Jackson Schraymeyer (11) all scored in double figures for the Lakers. Cairnduff also tallied four steals, four assists and six rebounds.  

Lake Superior state's bench scored 51 points compared to 13 by the Greyhounds' bench.

UIndy held an advantage in free throw shooting. The Greyhounds made 25-of-35 compared to 8-of-12 for the Lakers. 

The Lakers shot 51.4 percent from the field, including 47.6 percent on three-point shots, while holding the Greyhounds to 47.5 percent shooting and 40 percent from behind the arc. 

The Lakers return to the court against Southern Indiana in a neutral-site game played at UIndy at 1 p.m. on Friday.

The Lakers will play their first regular-season home game against Saginaw Valley State University on Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets are available online or in-person at the LSSU ticket office. For additional ticket information, call (906) 635-2602.

Be sure to follow the Lakers on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for more information and behind-the-scenes action.